This is a great way to prepare your Lake Trout Fillets. If you happen to get skunked when fishing for Lakers, fresh Salmon fillets will work just as well. Your going to love the sweet/smoky taste!
Special Equipment: Cedar grilling planks. While cedar grilling planks are not hard to find, you can also try cedar, maple or alder planks that are available at your local lumber yard or building centre. If you decide to go this route make sure that the wood you buy is UNTREATED.
- 2 fresh, skinless Lake Trout fillets, about 12 ounces to 1 pound each.
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup.
- 2 tbs. whole grain Dijon mustard.
- ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper.
At least 4 hours before you are going to cook your trout, soak 2 cedar grilling planks in water. Preheat your BBQ to 400 degrees. In a small bowl whisk together the maple syrup, mustard and pepper. Wash and dry your fillets and place one on each plank. Brush each fillet with the maple mixture then place plank directly on the grill. Cook for 12 minutes with the lid closed, and then brush again with the maple mixture. Cook for an additional 12 minutes, or until the fillets are cooked through. Remove from plank, drizzle with any remaining sauce and serve either hot off the grill or at room temperature.
You can also cook the fish over an open fire or in an oven. If using an oven, preheat to 400 degrees and cook on middle rack as above. The open fire method is a bit trickier because it will more difficult to maintain a constant temperature. Place your planked Trout over some hot coals and the steam from the soaked wood should cook it through. If the board starts to burn before the fish is cooked, try moving the coals around to reduce the heat and tent some foil over the fish to keep the heat in - or if it’s too far gone - throw away the fish and eat the plank.
This recipe, along with many others can be found in the Cabin 14 Cook Book which is available through the Cabin 14 Store in either hard copy or an easy to upload E-version from both iBooks and Google Play.
Latest from Harold Ball
- Esnagami Wilderness Lodge. June 10 to 17, 2023.
- A Quick Peek in the Rear View Mirror - Beaverland. May 27th to June 3rd, 2023.
- Transition - Esnagami Wilderness Lodge - June 11-18, 2022
- On the Road Yet Again!!! - Esnagami Wilderness Lodge - August 13-21, 2021
- For Some Christmas Came Early This Year… Esnagami Wilderness Lodge - July 24 to 30, 2021